Sunday, November 15, 2009

I started thinking about a visit to the mountains a year ago. I went with the outreach pastor, Jorge. We took the bus from the farm town to La Esperanza about twenty minutes away to catch the bus to Monte Verde. We spent the night is a wood shack of a building with a tin roof. It was mostly air tight and didn’t leak much. We hung hammocks from wall to wall to sit and sleep. As a lay there I began to think of the people on the top of the mountain with sticks as walls and thatch as roofs. A heavy rain came early that night and I thought, ‘I am glad that I had a tin roof to keep it dry in side. Then I thought about the people with thatch roofs mostly leaking and making mud out of the dirt floors. After the rain stopped the wind started blowing it was chilly and I was very glad to have the nice wood plank walls. I was tucked into my sleeping bag nice and warm. I was praising God that I was dry and warm. Then my mind turned back to the people in the mountains four hours hike from where we were sleeping. I know they were cold in the stick huts. Some put mud in the cracks to try to abide the winds but that doesn’t last for long. And the wind in the mountains is strong and cold. The people are friendly and open to the gospel. Providing better housing and knowledge to improve their crops brings a chance to share knowledge to improve their spiritual lives as well.

No comments: